Re: seeking answers to "tiny plot of stony, compacted clay"...

James wrote:

<*recommendations on which approach to use for gardening on a tiny plot of
<HARD, rocky clay soil
<a) newspapers and mulch over the soil or straw bale plantings, etc
<b) backbreaking double digging
<c) rototill or some fancier equiptment
<d) ?

These remarks may be considered sacriligious in this crowd, but I say bag
the tiny plot of impossible soil & lease an equally tiny plot of nice sandy
loam with an organic matter content of about 12% within driving distance
(perferably with a source of fresh H2O on-site). Proper site selection is
essential for any business venture & an ag venture (even a grow-your-own)
is a venture.

If you are tied to your plot for sentimental reasons, rototilling & any
prudent fertility regime will produce pretty good crops of wheat,
corn/beans or preferably rice on your impossible clay. (Could you pasture
your chickens or goat there?) For reasonable outputs of veggies however,
you probably will require raised beds, double digging (by hand or by
machine) & massive amounts of soil ammendments. Think about the cash &
caloric outlay before you leap into this.

Of course I garden in heavy gumbo in the northern Red River Valley... Do as
I say & not as I do:)