Re: Wheat and other Grains

>>     I have a small CSA that I'm just really getting  off the ground.
>>Believe it or not I have has several request for whole  grains.  I'd like
>>to accomodate however I have on small,  large  problem.  I don't have any
>>way of threshing the grain short of the old  fashion way of beating it in
>>a bag.  Those of you already in the business  know how little time we have
>>already.  If any of you have any ideas on how  to cut and tresh or know of
>>places where a threshing device can be purchased  reasonably I'd be more
>>that greatful the hear from you.  A combine would be  the ideal device
>>but I don't believe I could manuver it very well on my  small 15 acre plot
>>or cost justify it.   Thanks   Marv H     Badger Botanical  Farms

Marv - We've been looking into supplying locally adapted grains through our
CSA also.
Ferarri Tractor (http:www.approtecag.com ) (check with me if this doesn't
work!)) offers a very wide variety of devices for handling all or portions
of a grain harvest. Owner Eugene Canales is well versed in cutting,
binding, threshing, etc and can make suggestions in a scale appropriate for
your endeavor. (You won't find much about grain harvesting equipment on the
www page.)

If you have a CSA that likes FESTIVALS, however, a few scythes, some large
tarps, a couple of 55 gal barrels and some energetic dancing feet may be
all that you need to harvest your CSA-grown hard grains.

And again: I have not looked into this, but I understand that because of
the way agri-business works with debt and money, old combines can be found
for very small sums. Watch the Lancaster farm paper, or put a 'want' in
your local farm bureau publication and maybe one will show up.

Keep in mind that there are probably heirloom varities of grains that may
have been popular in your area before the advent of combines and may be
more suited for small scale, or hand, harvesting. (I've had good luck
talking to anthropologists at the local college to find out about such
things.)

Keep us posted on what you find out or decide!

-Allan Balliett