Re: (Fwd) juno.com

Chris,

  I forwarded your letter to the powers that be at JUNO.COM and I wrote a
note myself requesting that they take action.  With well over a million
clients, I doubt they will do much though.  Controlling SPAM is not an
easy task.  Blocking sites that flagrantly engage in SPAM may be one way
to fight it.  But the SPAMMERS will only find a new site within a few
days.  And in the meantime, legitimate mail is also blocked, as was the
case with my letter and as you pointed out, with a number of others.

 Maybe if all the other members of Sanet who use JUNO send in complaints
it will do some good.  Who knows?

  The position I take on all of this is I send a note to the group in the
hopes that all subscribers will see it.  But if two or three miss it
because their mail box is already full (a common rejection note I get) or
their ISP is blocking mail from my ISP, then that is just too bad.  I
would think that anyone who is a subscriber to this list and has a
portion of the posts to the list blocked by his/her ISP as is the case
here, that they would complain to the system administrator and demand
that the block be removed.  I have done just that in the past when the
site administrator at another site where I routinely get mail blocked
JUNO in the past because JUNO mail was being bounced by THEIR server.
The problem was traced to the other server and JUNO was found to be
blameless in that case.  I this case, I am not sure how this problem
should, or can be dealt with.  But putting a complete block on a site
because a few users of that site send out SPAM is NOT the way I would
recommend doing it.  That is the old "Punish the innocent" policy.

--Dan in Sunny Puerto Rico--
DAN.WORLEY@JUNO.COM  or
dan_worley@compuserve.com