Re: pvc_sewage_pipes_and_soil_quality

> The commune of Yoff, which is a part of the capital city of Dakar, Senegal, has
> a serious sewage disposal problem, a rapidly growing population, which is now en
> gaged and will in future be more engaged in urban agriculture.
>
> In the absence of a sewage system (only septic tanks) the cheapest solution is t
> o install narrow guage polyvinal choride sewage pipes, with the eventual intenti
> on of pumping the sewage to unbuilt land by the airport where it might be treate
> d and used in growing food.
>
> Does anyone know whether, over the long term, these pipes degrade in a way
> that releases PCB's into the soil? Is PCV dangerous only when it is incinerated?

Also by production it is dangerous.
PVC also doesn't like UV (sunlight) and Oxigen.

Here in the Netherlands PE pipes are used for sewage, these pipes are
not as stiff as PVC, have a thick wall so they don't get damaged
easely and if the do its somewhat easyer to fix them.
We had a problem here (holland) with PVC drinkingwater pipes that
pesticides got into the drinkingwater true the pipewall.

> Marian Zeitlin, for the Yoff EcoCommunity Program

Frits v/d Laan
Certified Organic Horticulture
http://web.inter.nl.net/users/F.vd.Laan/
The Netherlands