[Fwd: Re: comments on UDSA/NOP cost and benefits to organic farmers and handlers -Reply]

-- BEGIN included message

Bob MacGregor wrote:

> How will certification of offshore organic producers
> be controlled/assured?

If you read the Organic Food Production Act of 1990 (OFPA), you will
find that it stipulates that any country which ships food labeled
"organic" or "natural" to the U.S. must have in place a set of legal
disposition which are equivelent to the OFPA, in order for those
products so labeled to be accepted for sale in the U.S. market.  (Once
again, as stipulated in the OFPA), this means that certifying bodies are
recognized, that they must meet certain standards, register with the
federal government and be regulated by it.  Beyond (and before) the
OFPA, each buyer will state which certifiers she or it is willing to
accept certifications from.

Incidently, some months ago I loaned my only copy of the Mexican
equivilent to the OPFA to Eric Kindberg (Erorganic@aol.com) who asked
for it and promised to copy and send it back immediately.  Perhaps this
will serve to remind him that I'm still waiting, if not holding my
breath.

--

Douglas M. Hinds, Director General
Centro para el Desarrollo Comunitario y Rural A.C. (CeDeCoR)