Re: GBlist: Wood salvage & reuse

<<
I just wanted to throw this out there.  Interested?  Drop me a line and
we'll send you a copy of our completed case study or any additional
information that I might be able to provide.  I would also appreciate
information on any deconstruction-related activities you are aware of.  I
am helping to craft a national welfare-to-work proposal that might have
deconstruction as the centerpiece.
Thanks!

Robin,

Welcome to the group.  Yes, I'm interested in the work you are doing
salvaging materials.  I grew up in farm country in upstate New York.  Reuse
of materials is a way of life in rural areas.  A barn never came down where
the timbers, siding and steel roofing weren't saved and reused.  My uncle,
who owned a light construction company saved everything, storing it in an
abandoned dairy barn.  Because of changes in the way farming is done in rural
areas, a great deal of culture of reuse has changed.  The details of saving
materials is not being transmitted from older folks to younger any more.  I
know a large number of tricks for taking heavy imber and light construction
framing and finish materials down without damaging them.  Every remodeler has
their own set of tricks along these lines.  Were you working with the
remodelers section of NAHB?  It sounds as though you folks are getting
systematic about this kind of reuse.  I beleive that it is essential that you
do this.  I would like to help you if I can.  - Terry