Re: policy on house sparrows

Hi;
When I was at Appalachian studying Ornithology, my professor, J. Frank
Randall was involved in setting up the laws regarding protected species. At
his suggestion, and the suggestions of several other noted Ornithologists in
NC, it was decided that 3 species (as I remember) would have no protection,
as they are introduced pest species. They are, House (English) Sparrow, Rock
Dove (Pigeon), and the European Starling. By law, you can do anything you
wish to them, however, I know of no policy for controlling them. (I have my
own - if you want to know what it is, write me privately.)
House Sparrows are difficult to discourage, as the male picks a cavity, and
it is "his", and cannot be taken by any other bird. If a Bluebird tries, he
will evict them, killing the young. The only way is to remove him from the
area, and they can return from miles away. The books I have read suggest
doing away with the HoSp permanently..... I think it may be the only way.
Alex Netherton
The Appalachian Naturalist
Asheville, NC
http://www.appalachian-naturalist.com