ten duck day

Hi, I'm a new subscriber, although I've been in the Triangle for
almost 3 years:  I can't believe it took me so long to find this
group! I'm originally from the UK so if you have any Q's about
British birds I may (emphasizing the "may") be able to help.

Quick report of a fun day in Umstead Park on Sat: a really
interesting mix of ducks on the boating lake. I walked up the
powerline maintenance track and found a good vantage point to take in
the ring-necks (>50), shovelers (5), blue (2 pairs) and green winged
teal (1 pair), mallard (~10), a lone female hooded merganser,
buffleheads (>6), pintail (1 pair), gadwall (>20) and ruddy ducks
(>20). Plus a few Canada geese, a nice osprey sighting and a
pied-billed grebe. And the pine warblers were singing and got close.
Only bad thing was I got sun burn!

Question: I went to Wilmington 3 weeks ago and thought I saw a pair
of European Wigeon on the Greenfield (?) Lake. Are these regularly
there (ie captive/escapes) or are they vagrants?

I look forward to hearing from you all,

Steve Perry

Receptor Biology lab, Duke Uni Med Center

stevep@receptor-biol.duke.edu