Abundance of cavity nesters in the Carolinas?

I'm writing a research paper for a science fair that we're having at my
school about the conservation status of cavity-nesting birds in the
Carolinas. Conservation status means how common a bird is, whether a bird's
numbers are declining or increasing and why. Cavity-nesting birds are any
birds that will nest in manmade birdhouses or in naturally-made woodpecker
holes, rotted out knobs in trees, etc. Not only is info greatly appreciated,
but part of the requirements include going out into the field out with,
having a phone conversation with, or carrying out an e-mail conversation
with someone who has done work on this topic or anything similar. However,
you don't need to have done research to contribute.

If you're wondering, all I need to do is transfer some images to my server
and the Triangle Birder's Guide's move will be complete. I need a new FTP
client though. Any recommendations? Freeware would be best.

Thanks in advance!

Roger Shaw
shaw3186@nc.rr.com
Raleigh, NC