Savannah NWR Limpkin

To clarify Jack Peachey's mesages yesterday, the Limpkin was well seen bty
Bob Maxwell and Pete Worthington from 6:25 to 6:35 PM yesterday, March 26. We
had been there since about 4:30, with lots of other activity to keep us busy.
The area that it was seen in had just been scoped by Bob 5 minutes before,
indicating how elusive the species can be, and also the importance of
crepuscularity. With lengthening days, the sightings have become later and
later. The exact location is .9 miles, as previously stated, from the
entrance. If you stop 100 ft short of the water control structure, face West
in front of the end of a long row of trees, the bird comes out from the end
of the row facing you, with an unobstructed view and in our case stayed on a
half submerged branch preening the full time. Caution, the row of trees is
full of DC Cormorants, egrets, and a few brown imm night herons. The Limpkin
does not appear among these (I suspect that it roosts right at water level,
or in the cane).
Looking for it earlier in the day is probably futile, unless you can get
there at first dawn (but I believe the gates are still closed at that time).
CAUTION; the gates are locked , both ends, at 8:00PM
Pete Worthington, Simpsonville.
SC.