Re: Another spring arrival in the Triangle

On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, Kate Finlayson wrote:

> There were also a few pine warblers as well. They were
> eating something from the asphalt road(grit? bugs?)

Probably grit. There's someone on another listserv - Michigan, I think? -
who annually posts a message every spring urging folks to offer water and
grit as well as seed and suet. Birds need grit in their crop to grind up
their food, due to their lack of teeth. I haven't heard from anyone who's
tried it, but it might add to a few peoples' yard lists...

Good birding,

Josh

Joshua S. Rose
Duke University