Migrants in Orange Co., Spring is here!

Folks,

Got home early and working in the yard till dusk. The only migrant I heard
was a Brown-headed Cowbird. Saw several very yellow Gold Finches in my yard
as well.

American Toads were breeding in both my pond and water garden, eggs
everywhere too! I also heard Green Frogs, Bullfrogs and Spring peepers
calling in the area, seems like it is spring to me. Tonight I had a bat
flying over the pond. Today i found my first yard dragonfly of the season a
male Twin-spotted Spiketail a very neat bug. Butterflies were busy all day
here with my first Spicebush Swallowtail showing up and first female
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail.

Yesterday I found a baby  Southern Flying Squirrel along my driveway and
took it to Janine Perlman, who took it to another rehabber with another
baby needing company :-) Thanks Janine!

Randy Emmitt
Rougemont, NC

Randy Emmitt Photography