Backyard Prothonatary Warbler

This morning heard  House Wrens for the first time this year, so went out
to have a look. In addition to the wrens, a Prothonatary was singing and
flying all around the back yard. I watched it for 30 min. as it perched in
several tall trees and our dogwoods, then walked around our double garden
pool and our two bird baths. After watching a WT sparrow bathe, it finally
took a bath. This was not a new yard bird, as we had one about three years
ago in the bird bath. However, it is a great yard bird , as we are almost
in downtown Raleigh.

On Saturday we went on a TNC field trip on Roanoke River. The most common
bird was Ovenbird. Also La. Waterthrush, Y-T Vireo, Y-T Warbler, Common
Y-T, B-G Gnatcatcher, Prothonatary, Parula,  Wood Thrush,  Prairie, Pine,
Y-R Warbler, plus other expected forest species. Also about 25 wildflower
species and 11 butterflies.

On Sunday went over to Swift Creek Bluffs in Cary and saw La. Waterthrush,
Hairy WP, White-Eyed Vireo, Kingfisher,and a Sharpie.

Gail Lankford
Raleigh