Am. Woodcock nesting record

Folks:
	I had never found a nest or other positive proof of Woodcock nesting in
NC until last Friday, April 13. While covering a large cut-over area on
the east side of the Neuse River north of Clayton, in Johnston County, I
flushed an adult Woodcock. But instead of flying rapidly away, it
fluttered away, as if a nest were in this upland clearcut! A few seconds
later, I kicked up a half-grown woodcock chick! I never found a nest
(they could have nested hundreds of yards away), but at least this is
positive nesting evidence.

This large tract of cut-over woods -- lots of logging roads -- still had
both tanagers, lots of Ovenbirds, Prairie Warblers, Hooded Warblers, and
nearer the river -- Parula, Prothonotary, La. Waterthrush, etc. A B-t
Green Warbler singing was surely a migrant, and a few B-&-w Warblers
that were singing probably were, but as a few nest in this part of the
state, one can't be sure at this time of year if they are migrants or
breeders. The site certainly was no natural area, but at least it was
birdy!
--
Harry LeGrand
NC Natural Heritage Program