Re: Am. Woodcock nesting record

Harry and all,

Many years ago ( about 20 to be relatively precise), I went woodcock
nest searching  several times with Dr. Phil Doerr of NCSU and Andy
Ammon, a retired wildlife biologist from Michigan. We found several
hatchling broods at Schenk Forest and near Lake Myra, near Knightdale. I
have a picture somewhere of a much younger me holding a handful of day
old chicks. I also had a radio-marked female (part of an undergrad
research project I did) set eggs near the site of the current NC
Farmers' Market, although she was predated before they hatched.

In 1986, I found a brood of approximately 7-day old woodcock in a
longleaf savannah in the Green Swamp while on a field trip with Dr.
Ernie Seneca's plant biogeography class. I also have pictures of these
chicks.

On a slightly different tack, I found an ovenbird nest on private land
in Granville Co N of Oxford while turkey hunting Saturday morning.
Later, in a different woodlot,  I had an ovenbird land on my boot while
I reclined against a tree! (I was in full camo.)

Take care,

Clyde Sorenson
Clayton and Raleigh, NC