Re: feather ID

>"it is against federal law to have in
>one's possession migratory birds or any parts thereof, including feathers,
>without a federal permit."
>
>I didn't realize Flickers were migratory. Are Dove or duck hunters
>prohibited from keeping the feathers from the birds they take legally?
>These are not nit-pick questions, but asking for information. Also, I would
>like to know the reasoning behind this law.
>
>Alex Netherton
>The Appalachian Naturalist
>Asheville, NC
>http://www.appalachian-naturalist.com

***

ALEX . . .

The Migratory Bird Treaty is a little bit misnamed since it protects
all birds--migratory or not--except for European Starlings, House
Sparrows, and Rock Doves. There are provisions for states to issue
permits for hunting waterfowl, quail, doves, etc., and any part of a
game bird that is legally taken by a hunter can be kept. There are
also provisions for allowing the take of "nuisance" birds (e.g.,
crows, cormorants at fish farms, etc.).

The provision of the law that forbids the keeping of bird parts or
artifacts (eggs, nests, feathers, etc.) is in place because it is
about the only way to assure that law enforcement officers can bring
a case against someone who illegally collects birds or artifacts. If
you had a bunch of egret plumes, for example, you might truthfully
say you found them lying around, but your neighbor may have gotten
his plumes by shotgunning egrets and then saying he, too, just found
them. The law discourages the collecting of eggs and the removal of
nests for similar reasons.

Institutions can get permits to collect and/or salvage birds and
artifacts; individuals typically can't get permits, but they can act
on behalf of an institution that has one.

My guess is that the law is seldom enforced with regard to
feathers--except in the case of endangered species and eagles--and
for old nests. I doubt an agency would bring a case against someone
who was using feathers, nests, or skills as teaching tools, but
entire bird specimens probably would be pushing it.

It's a good law that grew originally out of the plume hunting debacle
when heron and egret plumes were fashionable for women's hats. It's
also a law that practically every birder breaks at one time or
another, so we should be aware that there can be consequences.

Happy Birding,

BILL
--

BILL HILTON JR., "The Piedmont Naturalist"
hilton@hiltonpond.org, (803) 684-5852, eFax: (503) 218-0845

Please visit our web sites at http://www.hiltonpond.org and
http://www.rubythroat.org

"Never trust a person too lazy to get up for sunrise or too busy to
watch the sunset."					BHjr.