Re: Columbia sewage treatment plant

Lewis Burke asked me for directions to the Columbia sewage plant.  Here they
are, FYI. On a good day this area can be the best shorebird spot in central
South Carolina (i.e. anywhere away from the Orangeburg sod farms), but the
lands here are POSTED.  Do not leave the public road.

You will notice this sewage plant if you cross the Congaree River on I-77.
Its best field mark is a large chlorine tank painted with a smiley face.
(Have a nice day.)

There are two ways to get to the Columbia sewage plant. One is from the road
to Heathwood Hall School, and the other is from White House Road, both of
which begin at Bluff Road (SC 48) near I-77.

The easiest way to get to the sewage plant is from the road to Heathwood
Hall.  Start at the intersection of Bluff Road (SC 48) and Beltline Drive.
(There is a major gas station / convinience store at this intersection).
This intersection is just northwest (i.e. towards downtown Columbia) from
the SC 48 exit off of I-77. Go southwest from the traffic light, towards the
Congaree River.  This is the road to Heathwood Hall School.  About 0.25 mile
before you reach the entrance to the school turn left on the paved side
road. This is the only paved side road off of the road to Heathwood Hall
School.  Follow this paved road for a mile or so, approaching I-77. Just
before you pass under I-77 you will see the sewage plant on your right.
Enter at the gate and immediately go to the office to sign in.  Once you
have signed in, follow the road around the working sewage treatment
facilities on the west (Congaree River) side of  the complex. All the way in
the back you will notice a gravel road that leads up onto a dike. This is
the dike around the ash pond, where the birds are. Currently it is possible
to drive all around the pond, but this is not always the case.

Once you leave the sewage plant (don't forget to sign out) continue on the
paved road under I-77. Soon this paved road will reach a T-junction with an
unpaved road. This is White House Road. Turn left (away from the Congaree
River) and follow White House Road back to Bluff Road (SC 48)F.  All lands
along this entire route are private and heavily posted. Do not leave the
public road at any time.  On your way back to Bluff Road on White House Road
you will pass a popular pick-your-own strawberry farm, a sand quarry, and
another small sewage plant (not worth going into, and usually locked
anyway).

Most of the area along this route is part of the proposed Green Diamond
development of the Burroughs and Chapin Corporation, which is being opposed
by various enviromental and other citizens' groups as unsafe development in
the floodplain.

Robin Carter
Columbia, SC
rcarter@sc.rr.com