banded orange dyed house finch

On April 24 afriend of mine found a dead orange dyed
House Finch in Glenburnie Park in New Bern, NC. The
bird had no visible signs of trauma and was not near a
window. It had a purple band on it that  started and
finished with two S(smaller than the rest of the
symbols in the middle zeros) The rest or number was
OBA 60 again followed by the smaller side by side
zeros--all in all it looked like 00  OBA 60  00 with
th 00 being smaaler than the other letters. I recall
hearing something about orange dyed house finches and
to make a long story short called Bob Holmes and Wade
Fuller who also recalled hearing something about it .
None of us could remember what or where it was. I
ended up calling a Ms Mary Gustafson with the wildlife
service in Laurel , Md who was perplexed and concerned
that she knew of no existing permits for this
activity. I mailed the band to her yesterday. I would
appreciate anyone who knows where this infomation
should be sent letiing me  know--ceballenger