Audubon's birthday; unprotected birds; Big Day record

Hi Carolinabirders,

Apparently, today is John James Audubon's birthday! Hope everyone gets
out and sees some birds in celebration; Frank and I did. I'll hold off
reporting them though, as one of them was a lifer for Frank, I figure he
should do the reporting... FYI, the Rare Book Room in Duke's Perkins
Library has a complete edition of Audubon's "Birds of America" for anyone
who wants to see it in person. It can also be viewed on-line at
http://employeeweb.myxa.com/rrb/Audubon/index.html

Noticed on TEXBIRDS today that a team of birders - including Giff Beaton,
whom some folks around here know, and Adam Byrne, whom I know from my
seasons at Whitefish Point - broke the North American Big Day record a
couple of days ago, just as the cold front now in NC was hitting Texas.
258 species in 24 hours! Wow... Apparently, the record of 231 species had
been set 23 years ago, but was broken by a Canadian team a week ago with
233 species; then Giff and company busted it wide open!

On Thu, 26 Apr 2001, Jordan Brooks wrote:

> I haven't seen Bill's statements; I may not be receiving all
> list mail. But are you saying I'd need a permit to trap and dispose of
> the house sparrows who are eyeing the bluebird's nestbox or the
> European starlings who are tormenting the red-bellied woodpeckers?

It's been said here before, but since Jordan missed it, others may have
also: House Sparrows, Starlings, and Rock Doves are not protected AT ALL
by federal law. You can do anything you want to control them, as long as
it doesn't go past the point of control and into animal cruelty; trap
them, shoot them, addle their eggs, whatever.

Not sure about the rules for other exotics, though. I believe that you DO
need a permit for them, things like Monk Parakeets, Eurasian Collared-
Doves, Mute Swans, etc. A shame, really; Mute Swans are a much bigger
environmental threat than Rock Doves...

Good birding,

Josh

Joshua S. Rose