SS Hawk - Jasper Co. SC

This morning (6/11/01) I was doing some field work in Jasper Co., near the
southern tip of South Carolina, and saw another somewhat-out-of-range-in-
breeding-season bird: a Sharp-shinned Hawk flew overhead, carrying a mouse
in its talons (head first) and being pursued by an E. Kingbird!

Didn't have the opportunity to do any real birding, but I thoroughly
enjoyed hearing (and seeing) Painted Buntings singing away all morning.
Nearby, in Tillman, a couple of Black Vultures were feasting on a road-
killed armadillo as a couple of Mississippi Kites sailed by.  Another fun
year bird was a Wood Stork soaring over I-95 near Beaufort in perfect
formation with a Black Vulture - I guess they are related after all. :-)

--
Charles W. "Will" Cook                  w 919-660-7423
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook            cwcook@duke.edu