Mt. Mitchell Field trip

Carolinabirders,
An Elisha Mitchell Fieldtrip around Mt. Mitchell on the Blue Ridge Parkway
on 11 June produced a handful of unusual birds, as well as the expected
species at this elevation during June.
The highlights follow:
Pine Siskin: Many along the higher elevations and at Mt Mitchell
Red Crossbill: At least 10+ feeding high in the spruces at Balsam Gap. There
were males, females and at least one heavily streaked immature bird in the
flock.
Rose-breasted Grosbeak: Not rare, but we rescued a very young fledgling from
the middle of the road, while the male perched nearby waiting to feed it.
Blackburnian and Canada Warblers: Easy to see and very vocal
Yellow-rumped Warbler: Last, but not least....we only had brief views of a
singing male that was PROBABLY this species. Unfortunately we could not
relocate it once the bird had stopped singing. This was at the lower end of
the upper parking lot, near the picnic ground. The song was a typical
Yellow-rump ramble, but with 2 parts, the second part being given at a lower
pitch.
I hope that someone else will be able to relocate the bird, as I will be
heading out of town (again!) to Churchill and will not be able to follow
this sighting up to confirm it.

Ventures Update:
Space is still available on the following trips:
20 June: Roan Mountain for high elevation birds and a spectacular flower
display
30 June: Avery County, NC for birds, butterflies and summer wildflowers
15-19 August: Outer Banks, NC for a seabird and shorebird weekend, including
pelagic trip.
Please contact the office for further details
Simon

Simon Thompson
Ventures Birding and Nature Tours
PO Box 1095