Dickcissel suggestion

I remember vaguely something awhile ago on C-birds where birders paid a small
amount to a landowner to view Barn Owls (?) in the eastern part of the state,
if I'm remembering correctly.

One Idea:
I think we need to speak with Mr. Snipes first about the Dickcissels'
situation, and if delaying mowing fails, we could suggest compensating him
for leaving that patch of grassland intact by donating $1-$5 per car (or
whatever's decided).... in a box somewhere (?) when birders visit.  We get to
see more than just the Dickcissels on his property, and we are practically on
his front doorstep when viewing the Warbling Vireos.

Also, I just got off the phone with someone at the Triangle Land Conservancy
and he is going to mail Mr. Snipes general info on conservation easements,
etc.
And he thought my idea about monetary compensation was a very good one; not
to be used as an "admittance fee", but to compensate Mr. Snipes for any
financial loss from his conserving or delaying mowing on that piece of land.

Shelley Theye

Shelley Theye
North Chatham County, NC
Psbmt@aol.com