Hatteras/Ocracoke Birds

There were several black terns at the western spit of Ocracoke (east side of
Ocracoke Inlet) on Tuesday, June 12. One of the terns was in breeding plumage
(what a gorgeous bird!), another was close to breeding plumage, and there
were at least 2 that were not in breeding plumage. The birds were there all
day. We first saw them flying near the eastern edge of the sand flats (just
after the dunes end), and during the middle and end of the day, they had
moved further down closer to the inlet, on the sound side.

The white rumped sandpipers (at least 2 birds) still were at Newfield Pond at
Pea Island National Wildlife Refuge as of mid day June 13.

We have had strong southeast and south winds yesterday night and today, so
I'm not sure if the birds are still there.

Sidney Maddock
Buxton, NC