Chased by a Turkey

On 6/12/01 I was in a remote section of gamelands at Falls Lake looking for
butterflies.  I was excited to see one, two, three then seven young turkey
take flight only ten feet from where I was standing.  The next sighting was
even more exciting, the mother stood up and flared her wings open and flew
towards me!  I backed up quickly as it landed within three feet of me and
continued to come at me flapping her wings wildly (I didn't realize how big
their wing span really was!)

I evacuated the area rather quickly as the mother watched me the entire
time, looking as if she would fly at me again.  Now that their numbers have
increased I guess birders will need to watch out for them when they're out
in the field.  Made That Canada Goose from Merchants Millpond that attacked
my canoe look like a light weight.

Well now I can add Turkey to my "chase" list with a Black Bear in NH,
Whitetail Deer and Opossum in NY, and, oh yeah, them crazy geese at
Merchants Millpond, NC!

Brian Bockhahn
Falls Lake State Park Ranger
Falls Lake CBC Compiler