Waxwing, Ceruleans, and other weekend birds

On Saturday I saw two Common Ravens at a parking lot near the intersection
of US 52 and University Parkway in Winston-Salem.  They're not too unusual
in W-S, but I'd never seen any interesting birds at this intersection before
(in 15 years of passing by) and hadn't thought of ravens as trash birds here
(as they are elsewhere).  Not far away, near the dump, I saw a tailless
Turkey Vulture sailing over -- bizarre-looking thing, reminiscent of a B-2
bomber.  Saturday morning I did a mini-BBS route in Chatham County with help
from Heather Stewart - highlights included several Grasshopper Sparrows and
a Kentucky Warbler singing.

On Sunday I helped out with the inaugural Dave Co. butterfly count and had
some nice birds, too.  Best bird was another late Cedar Waxwing.  Other nice
birds included a singing KY Warbler and Grasshopper Sparrows.  On the way to
the Davie count I stopped for a few minutes to listen to a Cerulean Warbler
singing - it's a dependable spot just off the Blue Ridge Parkway.  The spot
is on Carroll Co. route 620 halfway up the mountain - stop where there's a
guard rail and a Piedmont overlook.  620 runs between the Parkway
(intersection about 10 miles north of the NC border) and I-77.  The
Ceruleans will be singing from near the tops of the tallest trees (not the
easiest birds to see).

Good birding!

--
Charles W. "Will" Cook                  w 919-660-7423
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook            cwcook@duke.edu