Re: Leucocistic Brewer's BB? at Coddle Creek Res.

I assume that Tom meant Red-winged Blackbird. Brewer's Blackbirds are
very rare in NC even in the cooler months, and would be a complete shock
to be here in midsummer. Most summer reports of Brewer's or Rusty
blackbirds can be attributable to juvenile Common Grackles. I can't
explain "accompanied by a female of the species", as grackles look about
the same, male and female. That is why he must have misspoke and the
birds are Red-wingeds.

Quite a few birders in NC have never seen a Brewer's in the state, and
so I think some clarification is in order.

Harry LeGrand

--
Harry LeGrand
NC Natural Heritage Program