2 Black-whiskered Vireos at Bald Head?

C'Birders:

My heartfelt thanks to the birders (Massey and Cooper?) who relocated the
Black-whiskered Vireo and tips from Brad who greeted us as we arrived back
from the Azalea Convention.  I was SO disappointed at not finding it a week
ago.

To be Briefish:   Got to Bufflehead shortly after 9:30 AM, today, Monday,
where a local birder was listening to what I took to be the Black-whiskered
Vireo.  (He said he had seen it earlier, and left.)  I could not locate it
even though it was right in front of me, then it stopped singing.  I went to
the end of the street - and heard two, one singing with a one-second delay
after  the other.  One was off to the left, unseen, and the other 180
degrees from that one , on my right, also unseen.  Went back to the original
spot (on the right half-way down Bufflehead), was joined by a pair of
birders, and we finally located it but couldn't see the whisker.  He flew
off across the divided main street,  the male from Ogden reported.  I headed
over there and sure enough it was singing, but sounding even more like a
Red-Eyed.   Eventually all 3 of us saw it, whiskers and all.
A big truck scared it back to  its original spot, approx., and we got closer
good looks.  HOORAY!

Now here's my take on its song, which is the opposite of Mr. Fussell's
experiences with other NC BWV's.  The ones I have heard in So. Fla. sounded
very harsh to me.  These (2) were identical to each other, but quite sweet
sounding.

Since I was off chasing and Bill off golfing most of the day,  we missed
looking for the Purple Gallinule in the AM.   Will watch for it diligently
tonight.

Thank you for advice, Fitzbew,  I won't embarrass myself anymore about my
many misses of the AB at Pea Island.  But I am full of determination re the
Least at Sunset.

And thank all of you for your appreciative notes re the Purple Gallinule.
We think he, she, it will stay around.  I guess there's no way to tell its
sex??

"Brief " is not my forte, alas.

Good birding to all,
Mary McDavit, Medcalf Lake, Sunset Beach.
osprey1@mindspring.com