Re: Red Crossbills @ Mt. Mitchell State Park

Prairie Warblers would not be at Mount Mitchell, probably not at any
time. The elevation is too high. What you heard singing was presumably a
Black-throated Blue Warbler. The song often consists of about 4-5
whistled notes -- "hoo-hoo-hoo-hoo-hee", with each note higher than the
last, and the final note much higher than the others. This is quite a
bit different from the very husky, burry "bzz-bzz-bee" given by
migrants, such as through Columbia. Quite a few folks think they are
hearing Prairie Warblers in the higher mts. of NC, but in reality these
are BT Blues. Prairies occur in clearcuts and other brushy places,
generally below 3000 feet, and mainly below about 2000 feet.

Harry LeGrand

--
Harry LeGrand
NC Natural Heritage Program