Re: Red Crossbills @ Mt. Mitchell State Park

I had the restaurant concession at Mt. Mitchell State Park for 6 years and
lived on the Mountain from late April until early November, I have a home
below Mt. Mitchell at about 3,100 ft.  In 1997 I observed a Prarie Warbler
in October beside the restaurant for about a hour and from within 8 to 10
ft. He was still brightly marked and had the tail bobbing

There were questions about Black-Capped Chickadees, I would occasionally
hear and see Carolina Chickadees but 2 years occasionally heard and
identified Black-Capped Chickadees, the sound was very distinctive but I did
not find them every year.

Red Crossbills, I always kept a salt block beside the restaurant which
attracted Red Crossbills and Pine Siskins, they would visit it several times
a day.  They love their salt.

Goshawk, one winter I saw a very large accipiter hanging in one spot facing
into a strong wind, it's wings somewhat bent and very long tail straight
back.  It was larger than any Coopers Hawk I had seen.  All my instincts say
it was a Goshawk but I can't be 100%.

Occasionally the Mountain draws some birds you wouldn't expect, a exhausted
Coot, a very tired banded homing pigeon which we caught and released after
he rested a few days and Rock Doves once. Last winter a sick or tired Least
Bittern.

The overlook at Black Mountain Gap, mile post 355 at Hwy 128 that leads to
Mt. Mitchell is a terrific place for fall migrants.

Don Patterson
donp@yancey.main.nc.us
Mt. Mitchell Lands
Yancey County