Re: Wild Gos Chase

I'll second what the Nartins said, for Sunday's results. Several
birders, including Russ and Patricia Tyndall, spent hours in the park,
and saw basically what Lori and Dwayne had -- 2 Broad-winged Hawks, many
Red Crossbills, and a few Pine Siskins. We also heard a singing Hermit
THrush way down the mountain.

I wonder -- I suppose the observer last week didn't see a Broad-winged
Hawk. They are huskier than Cooper's, have a banded tail, etc. Flying
away, they could look like an accipiter, if the tail length weren't
seen. I don't know the observer's expericence with Goshawk or
Broad-winged Hawk, and if one isn't alerted to the fact that
Broad-winged are present, could that possibility have been overlooked?
Just wondering ... But, it does look like a great place for a Goshawk,
if one is going to be found in the NC mountains in summer.

BTW -- I chastized a birder yesterday in the park who was playing
Screech Owl tapes to bring in passerines for closer viewing. I also
mentioned this to the Park superintentent -- Rusty Bradley. While Parks
has no official policy against playing tapes in parks, this is counter
to good birding ethics as written by the American Birding Association.
To sum up, birders should not use tape recordings in protected areas,
especially ones where birders often visit. This includes state and
national parks, national wildlife refuges,and other types of parks where
wildlife are specifically protected. It can be a disturbance to birds,
it is an annoyance to other birders, and I could have reported hearing a
Screech Owl to the parks staff and ended up giving the park a new
species, one that may not be on the Park list.

Harry LeGrand

--
Harry LeGrand
NC Natural Heritage Program