Whips and hummers

	A small group from the North Banks Bird Club went out on the Alligator
River Refuge thursday evening (much to the delight of swarms of biting
flies) to look for the Short-eared Owls. There was a N. Harrier (or two)
present and lots of Bobwhites (and one bear), but we did not see any owls.
We ran over to Navy Shell road to see if the Whip-poor-wills were present
this year and did manage to hear one in spite of the very noisy jets "doing
their thing" at the very nearby bombing range.
	Also, I am fortunate to have a hummingbird nest in my front yard this year
(very near one of my feeders). At present she has laid eggs but they have
not hatched.
	Jeff Lewis
	Manteo, NC