Re: Whips and hummers

Could this be evidence of double broods in RTHU's in the Carolinas?  Seems
awfully late for a first brood even if the initial set of eggs were
unsuccessful.  As circumstantial evidence we have noted the second seasonal
increase in hummers in the yard.  We usually get a big surge in feeder
visits around 1 June, assumably when the first batch of youngsters is out
and about, then a second surge around 1 July.  We had 5 at once at the back
feeder yesterday.  Incidentally, I saw my first gliding hummer last week.
Two birds spiraled up to an altitude of about 2 light posts (the nearest
convenient item to judge height by) clashing bills the whole way.  They
broke off and one of the two birds glided back to ground level on set,
non-moving wings.  The second bird egressed the area on rapidly beating
wings.

Have a great week!
Steve Shultz
Cary, NC