ID help

  This time of year there is always that one hard to ID. The other day
we were down along the creek and spotted a small bird which gave us good
looks but to no avail.                                      First
impression was immature flycatcher -nondescript coloration above - .
Brownish grey like a phoebe with a slightly darker appearing smallish
crest. Underbelly was whitish with a little bit of mottling,
There was no discernible eye ring or wingbars , perhaps a vague
suggestion of wingbars. Smallish beak and black feet and legs, Tail was
definitely forked. It clicked almost continuously and flicked its tail
from side to side as it did so, I don't recall seeing this side to side
tail flicking before . Bird was small about pewee size but for some
reason I don't think it was a sparrow,An immature indigo comes to mind.
I am hoping the tail wag is diagnostic?           Dave Lovett =
Charlotte NC                                  Birdsalot@webtv.net