Broad-billed Hummingbird - YES

The quickly-becoming-famous Broad-billed Hummingbird put on a great show
this morning at the Parker residence in Fairfield Harbour.  The bird came
to the feeder a little after 7:30 and fed for 20 seconds or so before
retiring to a nearby branch.  For much of the next hour the bird remained
in sight on a perch or at the feeder.  Occasionally he would disappear for
a few minutes, but seems to like the trees near the feeder to perch and
glean insects.  Susan Campbell was present and indicated she would attempt
o band the bird next Thursday.  This bird appears to be a sub-adult to
adult male.  The plumage retains a few characteristics of an immature bird,
but not nearly to the extent as immatures shown in most field guides.  This
bird more closely resembles the male shown in Sibley.  Arrival of the bird
is frequently announced by a kinglet-like chatter.

Please note that advance arrangements MUST be made to visit the bird as the
Parker residence is in a gated community.  There is NO access other than
the security gate.

I have digital pictures of the bird available to anyone who wants to see
them.  I will try to post to my website now, but Homestead is shutting down
the free web space this month so I may not have access.  I can e-mail pics
to those who request.

Thanks to the Parkers for sharing this wonderful bird and to Susan Campbell
for letting us know about him!

Steve Shultz
Cary, NC

computer.