First Broad-tailed Hummingbird at feeder in NC!

Dear All,

Yesterday, on the way to a garden club meeting in western NC,  I visited
with Monte Tickle in Gibonsonville, NC (Guilford Co.; near Greensboro).  She
reported to me late last week that  she had a winter hummer coming to her
feeder regularly but could see no obvious distinguishing features on the
bird at all.  I was not really surprised once I saw it.  Turns out it is an
immature male Broad-tailed Hummingbird!  The state's first!!  I trapped and
banded it (and got a bunch of photos) in a matter of minutes and then it was
on its way.  It is very territorial and was hardly fazed by the disruption.

Monte, although she is not a birder, is amenable to having visitors.  You
need to call her to make an appointment and get directions to her home.  Her
number is (336) 449-4289.   She lives a ways off the main road and alone so
you *must* respect her wishes and contact her before visiting.

I will post more details of the hummer tomorrow but wanted to share the news
as soon as I got home today.  He is very handsome, active and vocal.  A
fantastic little bird.

Susan Campbell
Whispering Pines, NC