Black-chinned at Pawleys Island, SC

Hi y'all,
    This past Sat. I went down to Pawleys Island, SC to check out a bird.
The bird timed its arrival to mine. The homeowner said "there it is" and I
turned to see a dingy-looking hummer paddling its tail while feeding like
(so far as I know, yet) only a Black-chinned paddles its tail. Uhhhh...I got
a major shot of adrenaline out of that.
    i set up and trapped the bird right away. The bird's plumage was, in a
word, awful. But it was feisty and bright-eyed, so we continued. In a short
while, the homeowner held an adult female Black-chinned in her hand, and
then off she flew.
    I stayed around waiting to see if I could observe the bird awhile. In 10
mins. it was back at the feeder. As it foraged in the top of some Wax
Myrtle, the host and I both were surprised to find that they had another
hummer! A fem/imm Selasphorus charged out of the shrubbery and chased the
Black-chinned across the yard. This bird never went about the feeder, so now
I'm waiting for the first frost. For that one and at least two others. ;-)
    Pretty cool, 3 hummer species in my "backyard" already this winter. And
it ain't even winter yet.
    Wait 'til y'all hear what Ms. Susan found...

Cheers,
gary
Gary Phillips
Conway, SC
 Zone 8
walela@sccoast.net
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing's going to get
better. It's not." (Dr. Seuss, "The Lorax")