Green-tailed Towhee documentation

Birders:
	You might think that the Green-tailed Towhee found by Greg Massey at
Soutport on the CBC, and still present, is the first report for North
Carolina. Not so. Back in the 1970s, Richard Rowlett reported one, I
believe at Bodie Island. I think it was mentioned in American Birds when
Bob Teulings was the regional editor. However, I do not know if Bob ever
got a full description of the bird. There was not a NC Bird Records
Committee at that time. Also, the bird was never written up in Chat
General Field Notes, nor have full details been circulated to a records
committee. Thus, the bird has never been acted on, and the matter had
been dropped all these years, as basically a report without any material
to substantiate the sighting. (Ditto for White-faced Ibis and perhaps a
few other species reported in American Birds over the years.)

Thus, the Southport bird is the first documented with at least multiple
observers and written material (I have filled out a Rare Bird Report).
Of course, to add the species to the Official List, we need a
recognizable photo. While I was watching the bird on Saturday, Patricia
Tyndall was taking some photos, though I don't know if any recognizable
shots were gotten. The bird kept to the back of the "cul-de-sac" that
Derb Carter made in the weeds, and thus it was in the shade mainly. I
hope others can try to get photos of the bird. (I know some of you would
just be happy to SEE the bird.) Without identifiable photos, it can be
placed only on the Provisional List, upon acceptance of written
material.

IF written material on the Bodie Island bird surfaces, the Committee
would want to vote on it.

Hopefully, the bird will stay for the winter. It's too late in the
season to migrate south. (Of course, it could starve, be eaten, or
simply move a hedgerow or two away and never be seen again.) But,
enhancing the seed pile in the cul-de-sac would improve your chances of
seeing the bird and improve its chances of making it through the entire
winter.

 --
Harry LeGrand
NC Natural Heritage Program