GREEN-TAILED TOWHEE / EURASIAN WIGEON

The GREEN-TAILED TOWHEE showed up five (5) times between 7:50am and 9:10am
when my Dad and I left.  The bird always approached from the back right side
of the matted down weeds.  One time it stayed on the right side, but the
other four times it moved quickly to the back left side.  In all cases it
scratched and fed just inside the edge of the weeds, but did not come out
and spend time in the open seed pile.  I took about 5 or 6 photos of the
bird, but do not expect any to be good.  The bird was always obstructed by
weeds, in the dark, etc.  Great looks especially the last one, but no photo
opportunities.

My father and I proceeded on to Greenfield Lake in Wilmington to look for
the Eurasian Wigeon that Eric told us about.  Sure enough, after about ten
minutes of looking around the various bays in the lake, we found the
EURASIAN WIGEON amongst about twenty American Wigeons.

We continued up the coast doing some casual birding enjoying the tallying of
2002 year birds.  We ended up at Beufort where we found about six (6) or
more EURASIAN COLLARED DOVES on the wires around Ann & Live Oak Streets.  We
did not see the White-winged Dove that typically is in the area.

A nice start to 2002!

-Brad Carlson
Winterville, NC
BradCarlson1@hotmail.com