Re: NHAS trip to Raleigh lakes, duck inquiry

On 22 Jan 2002, at 8:31, steven.shultz@unifi.com wrote:

> Hi Patrick (and other interested parties)-
> As is often the case in late January, the local duck population has
> begun to disperse.  We usually peak the first or second week in
> December with rafts of several hundred ducks at the better spots.  For
> whatever reason the numbers tend to drop off beginning around New
> Years Day.  Nonetheless, the same diversity can often be found even
> though the current number of ducks is less than spectacular.  I took
> my semi- occasional swing through the area Sunday and noted the
> following:
>
> West Lake Pond (upper)- 2 wigeon, 2 Ring-neck, 6 Bufflehead (no
> Canvasback or Tundra Swan since the first week in January) West Lake
> Pond (lower)- 8 Ring-neck, 5 hoodie 1010 Pond- 23 Ring-neck, 6 wigeon,
> 6 hoodie, 2 Mallard Yates Mill Pond- empty NCSU Dairy (restricted
> access) - 18 shoveler, 12 Lesser Scaup, 10 Bufflehead, 2 Ring-neck
> NCSU Dairy (off Mid-Pines Rd, viewing from road shoulder allowable)- 2
> scaup sp., 6 Ring-neck, 8 hoodie
>
> Suggestions:
> Canvasback- might still find a few at Lake Johnson, could always come
> back to West Lake.

I had Canvasback at West Lake pond (upper) on the 14th of
January, so definitely try back periodically.  The best place to see
any number of Ring-necks and Ruddies is still Brier Creek (the
reservoir at RDU), although the numbers have, as Steve notes,
dropped off precipitously.  There a few still around there, however,
just be *VERY* careful pulling off of Aviation parkway.  I'd
recommend you stay in your car and look from there rather than
get out on the shoulder.

Good birding,

-Sandy

--