Re: NHAS trip to Raleigh lakes, duck inquiry

Hi Patrick (and other interested parties)-
As is often the case in late January, the local duck population has begun
to disperse.  We usually peak the first or second week in December with
rafts of several hundred ducks at the better spots.  For whatever reason
the numbers tend to drop off beginning around New Years Day.  Nonetheless,
the same diversity can often be found even though the current number of
ducks is less than spectacular.  I took my semi- occasional swing through
the area Sunday and noted the following:

West Lake Pond (upper)- 2 wigeon, 2 Ring-neck, 6 Bufflehead (no Canvasback
or Tundra Swan since the first week in January)
West Lake Pond (lower)- 8 Ring-neck, 5 hoodie
1010 Pond- 23 Ring-neck, 6 wigeon, 6 hoodie, 2 Mallard
Yates Mill Pond- empty
NCSU Dairy (restricted access) - 18 shoveler, 12 Lesser Scaup, 10
Bufflehead, 2 Ring-neck
NCSU Dairy (off Mid-Pines Rd, viewing from road shoulder allowable)- 2
scaup sp., 6 Ring-neck, 8 hoodie

Suggestions:
Canvasback- might still find a few at Lake Johnson, could always come back
to West Lake.
Wood Duck- Many, many around, but usually not on the ponds.  Quite a few
seen flying around at dusk.  Sometimes a few semi-tame birds at Lake
Johnson.

Missing this year: Gadwall, Green-wing Teal

Best,
Steve Shultz
Apex, NC

Patrick Coin <patrick@coinconsult.net>@acpub.duke.edu on 01/21/2002