screech owls in Currituck NC

Hello Carolina briders,

I've been absent for quite a while...still recovering
from a severe injury, but now can type some.

Want to share a sighting and bit of a mystery too.
About 9-12 mos. ago a red phase screech owl showed up
on the hollow of a tree on our property here in
Currituck County. We saw it on and off over the past
several months in the same spot, perfectly framed in
its hollow. Then, about 2-3 weeks ago I checked out
the hole and there was a grey phase screech owl in the
exact same place--thankfully my husband witnessed
this, i couldn't hardly believe it. Field guides say
the red phase is more common in our area, by the way.

The gray phase stuck around daily in the same place
for about 2 weeks,....then, 3 days ago the red phase
reappeared in the same hollow. We've speculated
whether or not they are competing for territory, or
could this be a pair that are mates, or preparing to
mate? We've never seen the two together.

linda ward

=====
--Linda Jeannette Ward
--P.O. Box 231