Directions and a senior moment, or 2

C'Birders:

To see the Calliope HB:
Here are 4th-hand directions that I used with no trouble.  I also figured
out how to go by using the DeLorme Atlas and Mapquest, which were both
different:

>From East of Winston-Salem:
I-40 to Business 40 (split occurs after Greensboro)
>From Business 40 west, go Right and exit to (first) Stratford Rd. North.
Right off ramp onto Stratford Rd.
Go to next traffic light where Stratford Rd. goes left.  Turn left.
Next turn left onto Forest Drive.
Go several blocks - watch out for a couple of 4-way stops.
The Williams home is brick on left, 2652 Forest.  Go up driveway and look
for 2 feeders and the little maple tree in front of garage where he spends a
lot of time.

I woke up in the middle of the night and realized that I was talking about
Whooper Swans, not Trumpeter, in my longer message yesterday....so forget
everything I said!

Senior Moment #2:  or possibly someone under my roof deleted my message from
the inbox and sent box as fast as they appeared.  So I thought it hadn't
gotten through.  Hence my short repeated note this AM re the Towhee and
E.Wigeon.

There are also Buffleheads, Hooded Mergansers on East Lake and Ocean Isle
Sewer Ponds.  The latter may still only be visited on Sundays without being
hassled, or special permission .  There are Moorhens all year round on the
East part of East Lake.

I am only mentioning the water birds as several people doing big days in the
winter have mentioned missing them, or one or other of the duck species.

So are there Trumpeter Swans at Bear Island????It's a long drive from here,
but very tempting.

Good Birding.
Mary McDavit, Sunset Lakes, NC
osprey1@atmc.net