CBC spring meeting

Hey Mike and C-birders,

I think your idea of a workshop on field descriptions of bird sightings is
a great idea from which many CBC members would benefit.  It may be "too
late" to put together something for the spring CBC meeting (in Asheville,
NC 3-5 May 2002, according to the website <www.carolinabirdclub.org>), but
maybe future meeting organizers could coordinate with you to give a
presentation or offer a workshop at the fall or next winter meetings.

What to do other Carolinabirders think?  Would such a workshop be of
interest?

Jeff

On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, Mike Skakuj wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If I wasn't polite, then please accept my apologize (English is not my first
> language).
> However I was just analyzing the description. If there is any chance for some
> leucistic or partially albinocistic common bird (Red-tailed Hawk, Barred Owl)
> then it should be taken into consideration, as well as Snowy Owl!
> I have no idea what is the observer's field experience and how good is he in
> making a description. What we have is just a written description, which we can
> analyze. If there is just a one thing (one but important, like wingspan) which
> doesn't fit to the bird morphology then (especially if we are talking about
> rare bird or any other unusual record) we should consider that record more and
> more and... sometimes just not confirm. There is nothing personal in such
> analyzing.
> In the other hand such a training in making a field description or sketching or
> estimating length or wingspan of birds is very, very useful. I used to do a lot
> similar things with my students in Poland, using skins, photographs and field
> trips. If anybody is interested in such idea we can talk about it on next
> meeting of CBC. I am still fresh in the area, where and where it will be?
>
> Mike
>
> Leonard Pardue wrote:
>
> > The early reaction to the Snowy Owl report sends a message to inexperienced
> > posters:  be prepared to weather sharp skepticism if you report anything
> > unusual.
> >
> > Yep, the owl report is unlikely, but how about some friendly coaching
> > rather than guffawing and rapping knuckles???  Maybe that's happening in
> > personal communications, but I hope that a more encouraging spirit will
> > prevail on Carolinabirds, too.
> >
> > At least the imprecise wingspan estimate shows us the poster didn't check
> > his field guide and tailor his report to fit the book...  Maybe at a CBC
> > meeting we can find a way to test everyone's ability to report wingspan
> > lengths...
> >
> > cheers,
> >
> > Len Pardue, Asheville, NC
>
> --
> Michal Skakuj  Ph.D.
> 4600 University Drive # 1312
> Durham, NC 27707
> phone, fax: (919) 402 9961

Jeff Pippen   	 				 jspippen@duke.edu
Biology Dept. Box 90338
Duke University, Durham, NC  27708		PH: (919) 660-7278