Re: Snowy Owl observer

In a message dated 2/5/02 7:24:56 AM, mskakuj@nc.rr.com writes:

<< I have no idea what is the observer's field experience and how good is he
in
making a description. What we have is just a written description, which we can
analyze. If there is just a one thing (one but important, like wingspan) which
doesn't fit to the bird morphology then (especially if we are talking about
rare bird or any other unusual record) we should consider that record more and
more and... sometimes just not confirm. There is nothing personal in such
analyzing.
Mike

Carolinabirders,
    I hope Dr. Partrick doesn't mind me posting this, but I have spoken with
him twice now, once last night and once this AM, and would like to say some
things oh his behalf.  I have found him to be a very friendly, down to earth,
knowledgeable person, who's just trying to let birders know what he saw.  He
did not sound overly excited about the owl, but really seemed to just want to
share his sighting with others who might be interested.
    Some things I found out by speaking with him are that he likes to paint
birds, and that he also took a few ornithology classes with Dr. Parnell.
He's a retired oral and maxillofacial surgeon, with an interest in birds,
though he's not an avid birder.
    As far as field marks go, he didn't see the owl's eye color, but his wife
did, and she described them as yellow.  The Foxcroft person who also has seen
the owl, says he's seen it active during the day, as well, and is on the
ground and on low perches then, too.
There is a large, grassy, open area near this location where the WCHL radio
towers are.
     Thank you, Dr. Partrick, for taking the trouble to subscribe to
Carolinabirds and for posting your observations.
    I plan on driving around the area today.  Two Snowy Owls in NC in one
winter??
In the words of Gary Phillips, "Woohoo!!"

Shelley Theye

Shelley Theye
North Chatham County, NC
Psbmt@aol.com