Valentine's & Bluebirds

It's Valentine's Day (14 February), our traditional date for
reminding folks that it's time to take care of your bluebird duties
for the current year.

Here at Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History, some
bluebirds have already formed pairs and are looking around for
nesting locations. (In fact, I'm watching a pair investigating a box
right now!) Even with this early activity, it's not too late to build
and erect new nestboxes; in most of the Carolinas actual breeding
won't begin to occur for six weeks or so, but it's still best to try
to have your boxes up by mid-February.

Valentine's Day is also a good time to remember to clean out your
nestboxes to remove any droppings that might have been left behind by
winter roosting birds.

For a downloadable bluebird nestbox plan and tips on attracting
bluebirds, see http://www.hiltonpond.org/NestboxBluebirdMain.html

Happy Nature Watching!

BILL
--

BILL HILTON JR., "The Piedmont Naturalist"
hilton@hiltonpond.org, (803) 684-5852, eFax: (503) 218-0845

Please visit our web sites at http://www.hiltonpond.org and
http://www.rubythroat.org

"Never trust a person too lazy to get up for sunrise or too busy to
watch the sunset."					BHjr.