Green-Tailed Towhee

Wanted to let everyone know that today we went to Southport to look for
the green-tailed towhee.  We arrived there around 8 a.m. (after a quick
detour at Orton Pond where we got great looks at male and female wood
ducks).  We immediately saw the green-tailed towhee along with many
sparrows.  We only saw it a few minutes before it returned to the heavy
brush, not to return.  Took the ferry to Fort Fisher and birded the rocks
at Federal Point where we saw 75+ oystercatchers and 50+ marbled godwits
along with many other species such as willets, ruddy turnstones,
sanderlings, dowitchers, terns and gulls.  In Wilmington, we drove around
Greenfield Lake (what a beautiful location) and were fortunate to locate
the Eurasian wigeon.  All in all a very good day birding! Connie & Bob
Shertz Raleigh, NC