Cooper's Hawk?

Today was my first chance to watch my feeder since the Accipiter
sighting reported last weekend.  Sure enough, the bird I thought was a
Cooper's Hawk was there again.  This time I did notice that the eye is
very far forward on the head.  I  got another look at the very nonsquare
tail with the wide white band.  The counterindication is that   the tail
was distinctly notched in the center.  I still could not see how far
down the tail the wing is when the bird is perched.  My camera was
recently taken, so a picture is out of the question.  I would appreciate
any expert advice on making my ID certain:  if the bird is going to
continue to come to my feeder (so to speak), I would like to take the
opportunity to learn more about the Cooper's/Sharpshinned distinction.
(I believe the Sharpshinned is more of a suburban "feeder bird", but I
live in some fairly large woods, near a Hunt Club.)

There were snipe at the ECU West Campus this morning.  I don't know
where they were earlier in the winter:  I looked hard for them in
December.

I had three Fox Sparrows in my yard, too.  That is unusual for good
weather.

John Daughtry
Greenville, NC
cbirds@coastalnet.com