G-tTowhee yes; Eur. Wigeon no

This morning I drove to the Wilmington area to look for the Green-tailed
Towhee and the Eurasian Wigeon.  I got to Shepperd Rd. near Southport about
6:03 and saw the Green-tailed Towhee within two minutes.  Then another birder
named Rick drove up and he soon saw it, too.  There were also an adult and at
least one imm. White-crowned Sparrow there.  After tossing my requisite can
of sunflower seeds on the pile, I headed off and saw a flock of Rusty
Blackbirds nearby on Jabbertown Rd.  This road is shown on the DeLorme atlas
but not labeled; it's the red line that runs between Leonard St. and rt. 87.
       After that I tried to find the Eurasian Wigeon at Greenfield Lake in
Wilmington, with no success.  There were, however, good numbers of Gadwalls
and American Wigeons and a few shovelers there, as well as at least one
Osprey.
       Also had a good time watching a Tricolored Heron try unsuccessfully to
dispatch a rather round, silvery fish at Federal Point.  It finally dropped
the fish.  In spite of the brisk winds, there were at least eleven
oystercatchers and two Marbled Godwits feeding actively at that site.

Erik Thomas
Johnston Co., NC
barbarahunter919@aol.com