Woodcock

OK, I lied.  The woodcock are back.  Apparently they have just become a
little less reliable lately, but are still displaying off and on at dusk.
We now have an early date of 11/15 and a late date of 3/10 for courtship
displays.  Tracy and I heard 3-5 birds Saturday so the clock is still
ticking on the late date.  Maybe they just heard that those Brickhouse Road
birds were getting all the glory?  Anyway, if anybody needs them for a year
bird or whatever, feel free to come by and try for them.  These days you
can get a two-fer as we have a nice clear view of the western horizon and
comet Ikeya-Zhang (now sporting a faint, but aesthetically pleasing, little
tail).

Best,
Steve Shultz
Apex, NC