Yellow Crowned Night Heron

This afternoon at the New Hope River Waterfowl Impoundment on Highway 54 in
Durham NC, I saw a breeding adult yellow crowned night heron (head plumes
easily seen).  Other observations included red headed woodpeckers, ruby
crowned kinglets, eastern phoebes, great blue herons, yellow rumped
warblers, a pair of bluebirds, cardinals, bluejays, white throated sparrows,
grackles, and a red shouldered hawk.
Heard in the distance were canada geese.  Also seen were three ducks that I
was not able to identify.

Lisa Dailey
Durham NC